Originally from Ireland, James (Bert) Herbert Scott's (1923-2012) passion for aviation began when he worked as an apprentice for the aerospace company Shorts Brothers. He was involved with the construction of four-engine Sterling bombers and Short Sunderland flying boats. After arriving in Canada, he wrote his qualifying exams for the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario becoming a Mechanical Engineer in 1952. He was hired by Orenda Engines and worked as the Engine Test Equipment Design lead for the cells used to perform test runs on engines. The test cells were located on the current-day site of the International Centre. He played a prominent role in the development of the most powerful jet engines in the world at the time. After the AVRO Arrow program was cancelled, Bert was offered a job at NASA in the space program. He declined and instead joined Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and worked with them in the Nuclear Power Plant division located at Sheridan Park in Mississauga.
The Museums of Mississauga has a large collection of items related to the work of Bert Scott including Avro Arrow memorabilia, models, samples and training material for the test cell operations at Orenda.